Lately, I have been giving a lot of thought to my personal journey of striving to always lead a healthy lifestyle. Marathons, weight lifting, extreme crash diets, 2-hour cardio sessions, low-carb, low-fat, Paleo, juice cleanses, you name it – I’ve done it all. Coming from a very active family who values nutrition, it has always been on the forefront of my mind – sometimes to the point of consuming. I’ve mentioned before my struggles with emotional eating and always feeling the need to be perfect in my exercise and dieting approach, and I promise in due time I will share more information about my experiences on this site.
When I began creating a customized plan for a friend of mine recently, I started to think of all the really important lessons that I’ve learned through my past. In my eyes, the following commandments are a commitment that must be made prior to making any changes toward leading a healthier lifestyle. If I can gain your trust, please know that all of these are lessons I have learned the hard way.
Sarah’s 10 Commandments of a Healthy Lifestyle
- I will treat my body with respect.
- I will get at least 7 hours of sleep every night.
- I will be patient.
- I will choose water over all else.
- I will embrace this as a journey, not a quick fix.
- I will understand that some days are easier than others.
- I will recognize and nurture my emotions.
- I will feed my soul more than I feed my stomach.
- I will understand that the scale is a scientific tool to measure one thing only: the weight of an object.
- I will not overdo it.
As I continue in my life, I’m sure some of these lessons will adapt. Every lesson comes with a personal anecdote that I can reference back to in order to witness the growth that has taken place in my life. Whether at work or at home, these commandments have helped shape my life to a point where I can now say that I truly understand the meaning of balance – a concept that was so far fetched for me in the past. Wherever you are in your personal journey, I hope you can relate to my commandments in some way.